Monday, October 18, 2010

R.I.P Nan xxx

What a month...this is my Nan & I in July this year, about a month after I brought her over from Perth to NSW to have her closer to me while she was in a Nursing Home. She was 90 in April in this year.She took some settling in, but we had some good times. On Monday 27th September, we had our usual Strawberry tarts from my bakery for morning tea. She loved her sweets :-) But on Wednesday, she was admitted to hospital with Pneumonia, and I sat at her bedside holding her hand. Sadly she passed away on Thursday 30th September. So quick, so sudden.

So, I have been busy planning Nans funeral, her wake, and all the drama that usually goes with that. All the fun stuff. It's been a busy few months. I kind of don't know where I am at now. I don't need to go to the Nursing home for two hours a day anymore, and eat pies and cakes with nan. I guess I am free to sew now, to do my bookwork, to blog, to do housework or to do whatever. I should be happy, but...

Anyway...

Finally here are the photos of my finished quilt-a-long quilt. It has been back from the quilter for quite a while now, and is actually in its new home in Perth already. I had to take these photos on the windiest day so the fence photo is not the best, but as the quilt is quite huge, it was the best way to get the full effect. It was on its way to the post office when I realised I hadn't photographed it, so had to make do with windy day photos :-(

I chose to use up the left over squares as the bind, as I had quite a few left, and just couldn't stand to waste them. So the bind was made up of alternated two and half inch white and coloured squares. Quite nice up against the white borders actually.


The backing was made up of three large strips of a co-ordinating fabric from the same range, with a smaller strip of white in between. I know, an expensive backing, but as the quilt was going to a treasured family member, I didn't mind so much. I do love the backs to match.

I just love how Lee (my quilting friend) has chosen to quilt this quilt for me. Simple, yet effective.


3 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

sorry to hear about your Nan.......lots to organise........stop now and take some time for yourself.......

CREATIVE DISORGANIZATION said...

Sounds like you have lots of wonderful memories of time together...Grandma's really do stay around forever...In our hearts...In our childrens faces, and recalling things from days gone by....your so clever, you should design a memory quilt, then cuddle up in it on happy lazy days...
Now my gran have a new friend.
God bless Nic

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Sending you a great big hug...do what your heart tells you...if you want to sew, then sew, if you want to scream do that to....xx